"The Lighthouse"



Welcome again movie lovers and welcome to anyone who's reading the blog for the first time. For those who do peak at my page from time to time, I apologize for the gaps in post. We lost my Nain (Welsh for Grandmother) very recently and it has taken some time to work out time to sit down and do any writing of any kind for me. She always looked forward to reading my articles that I did for the magazine "Our State Vermont" and let me know she was proud of my writing and I will miss being able to share my newest pieces with her. Yet one thing I've taken away from this is that I carry her trait of staying strong for family and carrying on, so without further to do here we go.

In the days of the 19th-century New England when the lighthouse keeper was responsible for the lives of sailors out at sea to avoid hitting rocks and expected to serve their tour for weeks in isolation, two men Thomas Wake (Willem Dafoe) and the newest recruit Ephraim Winslow (Robert Pattinson) are shipped to a small island with a lighthouse. For the next four weeks they are expected to tend to it with no one but each other as company. Wake being a seasoned keeper expects Winslow to follow his orders without question and do the back breaking work during the day while he tends to the light alone at night never allowing Winslow up to the light. As the frustration and resentment between the men grows and emotions run high fueled by alcohol and dark secrets, the time on the island drives the men insane and the lines between fantasy and reality blur to where time and truth are no longer recognizable.

This film was a mix for me. While the camera work and acting were ideal for a dramatic piece especially the delivery from Dafoe's salt to the Earth character and his "wisdom and philosophies" of life and the sea, it's storyline was more like stepping into the mind of The Mad Hatter. It lacked any indication to what was really occurring and seemed to put in the paranoid and delusional mind of Pattinson's character where all sense of reason becomes lost to confusion. It was drawn out to where you just wanted it to end. While the filming and cast was well done, it went too far out there in its "artistic choice" with the story making it fall short of three G.M.Stars and will have to settle for a low score of two. So if you're into films that are confusing and disturbing like "Hereditary" or "Midsommar", I would say this might interest you (might), but if you can't stand any of these films, then don't even bother.

⭐⭐
Green Mountain Stars

"The Lighthouse" is available at Redbox and where movies are sold/streamed.

This post is dedicated in the memory of my Nain, Jeanette Hughes, my most avid reader. 
⭐⭐

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase"

"Escaping the Madhouse: The Nellie Bly Story"

"Bundy and the Green River Killer"